Friday, December 23, 2011

Consuming is not the route.

Maybe it's Christmas, maybe it's the fact that I have the wife every man dreams of. "Babe, if you want it, get it!" is something I do hear when perusing backcountry.com's Dynafit selection or wandering around Outpost Sunsport trying to find a reason I need a new jacket. Or she just gets whatever it is for me as a love gift. Skis, road bike, Smith helmet, hoodies, pants, GoPro to mention a few.

So with that said, I've got everything I need to be satisfied for a long time! I've got the tools, if you will, to seek the authenticity found outdoors. But last night I found myself "needing" so many items on Backcountry.com. Garmin Forerunner heart rate monitor plus altimeter, awesome for training and tracking altitude gain (are you kidding me, I've only been to the mountains a handful of times this season) but this is something I need?! A lighter ski setup from my first post (that's ridiculous I haven't even put many miles on my setup right now). New goggles, base layers, there's a great sale on snowboard boots, I might try snowboarding someday...right?

The danger for me is feeling like I'm part of something just because I have the gear to do it, whether it be rock climbing gear, ski stuff, dirt bike or mountain and road bikes, by having these things around me I feel like I'm a part of these sports. I feel like a climber, skier, and a rider... Add to the mix an endless amount of youtube, vimeo and dvd consumption and in my mind I'm a pro! The other problem is my best friends have moved away, specifically Andrew, and he was the one to not only push me and plan awesome trips, but he also taught me everything

So here's the point. In 2012 I'm challenging myself to start "needing" the adventure all these things provide in place of the next product that is going to refresh my faux connection to the adventure itself. No more buying, only planning, doing and living. I even have my own professional photographer so there's really no excuses!

Merry Christmas and an adventurous New Year...

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:19-20


No comments:

Post a Comment